Our History

The journey of Saint Mark’s

1906 to today!

TimelineWindows

History of Saint Mark’s

The journey of Saint Mark’s ... lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Stained glass window showing Jesus as shepherd hodling a lamb
Black and white photo of All Saints Pasadena Mission

1906

Our parish had its beginning as All Saints North Pasadena Mission, an outreach of All Saints Church in Pasadena.

Black and white photo of clergy and acolytes standing outside circa 1914

1914

On Easter Sunday, April 6, 1914, Saint Mark’s Parish was consecrated.

Black and white photo of Saint Mark's church circa 1915

1915

First church on Washington Blvd.

Black and white photo of two robed clergy holding tools

1947

On November 2, the parish broke ground for the Altadena property (donated by the Markhams).

Black and white photo of interior of Saint Mark's church

1948

Dedication of the new sanctuary on June 16.

Altar of Saint Mark's with art banners hanging above

1958

Meeting House built for youth activities.

Mosaic of Saint Mark's lion outside of administration building

1959

Parish Administration Building completed.

Altar of Saint Mark's with art banners hanging above

1960

Saint Mark’s Preschool opens.

Exterior or Saint Mark's church

1966

Kindergarten added.

Altar of Saint Mark's with art banners hanging above

1967

First and second grades added.

Black and white photo of priest and woman holding plans for school

1969

Dunlap Hall constructed to add classrooms for our
expanding school.

Organ with music

1983

Karl Wilhelm tracker organ installed.

Stained glass window of Archbishop Desmond Tutu and young people

1990

Archbishop and Nobel laureate Desmond Tutu visits Saint Mark’s on May 16, 1990, to dedicate a stained glass window in his honor. View video here.

Lift Every Voice and Sing book

1992

Gospel Choir begins singing monthly.

Saint Mark's new community hall

2002

Saint Mark’s Church and School capital campaign funds expanding and upgrading church/school facilities with 4 new buildings.

Baptism service with family

2004

Saint Mark’s adds a 9:00 service tailored to families with children.

Altar of Saint Mark's with art banners hanging above

2007

Saint Mark’s celebrates its Centennial.

Crowd in Haiti

2011

Through the Episcopal Church’s Haiti Partnership Program, Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church and School joined with St. Mark’s Episcopal High School in Southborough, MA in a relationship with Sainte Marguerite Episcopal Church and School in Latournelle, Haiti.

Altadena Troop 1

2014

Scout Troop 1 celebrates 100 years at Saint Mark’s (established in 1914).

Rector and school director holding plans for new capital campaign

2018

"Light. Learning. Love." Master Plan and Capital Campaign initiated.

Digital recorder on stand

2020

During the Pandemic, we developed innovative ways to worship including Saint Mark’s on Air podcasts, Zoom worship services, small backyard eucharists, and eventually one service on the basketball court.

Saint Mark's School 60th Anniversary

2020

Saint Mark’s School celebrates 60 years.

Our Windows

Our stained glass windows tell a story of the love of God; they represent heartfelt gifts for our church community and are an immediate teaching tool and inspiration for all to see during our celebrations and prayers. Most of the stained glass work was executed by Judson Studio. The Anson windows in the entry were created by Stan Hanson, Inc., and the Good Shepherd window in the Community Hall was created by the Los Angeles Glass Company.

Stained glass windows showing four panes